Section525 - D44 2nd gen. leaves SAS | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Section525 - D44 2nd gen. leaves SAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well since I have the axle in-hand finally... I guess I can start my thread.

I bought this axle about a month ago from a guy in OR and finally made it around to picking it up yesterday. I watched as he actually took the axle out from under the truck. It's pretty clean.

1983 Jeep Wagoneer LP D44

The plans:
Rubicon Express leaf springs (unless someone suggests otherwise)
4.88s
Detroit

Then SOA the rear, add a locker, and 5x4.5 to 6x5.5 adapters (I heard they make them). So far I am thinking about going 35/36s BFGs or IROKs.

So.... any suggestions?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 7,029
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 7,071
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 7,016

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We'll do the steering tomorrow... and whatever else we can. I really need to get the hi-steer arm spacers before I can turn it. :p So that's somewhat of a priority. :D

I'll hopefully order whatever springs I decide will work tomorrow as well.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

To you my friend. You have beat me. :(

beer-766877.jpg

by the way did you send back those boots? :D

Don't I get extra credit though sence I changed out two axles :rolleyes:

I haven't beat you yet. But it ain't lookin good for you. :p We'll see how tomorrow goes. I have a feeling the steering is going to be tricky.

As of now everything is just sort of thrown together. Still need to finish welding some junk, tighten some junk, grind some junk, etc.

I also still need to ship off my biker boots size 9's. :D Monday, I promise.

What are you going to do for shocks? And how much do you think you have in the swap? I know I'm somewhere between $3k to $4k :( by the time it's done.

I don't know about shocks yet. Something bling though.

I'll probably have about $4k into it when it's done. :p Well worth it just for the project aspect of it. :D

After this project is done I am moving back to the motor rebuild. A 347ci that won't stall every 5 seconds. :rolleyes:

Nicely done fer shizzle, and 4"???? Did you think the 4 door needed more wheel base? hahaha

Also is your AA adapte rthe 9" version? did th e9" version require you to install the output shaft inside the trans or no? Sorry for the off topic just thinking of my T case options on my 96

Looks *****in! I have seen gen I's and BII's (TTB trucks) converted to the C wedge Ford solid axle in a weekend, but that was alot of work for a Friday, hopefully you can get the steering all figured out today....

4" is about the minimum I could have moved it. The crossmember is just infront of the radiator now. So, anything further back and the crossmember would have to be under the radiator which would equal more lift.

Yeah, I have the 9" and it did require the new output shaft. Is the tcase in your BII forward or backwards from stock?

So i guess there are no body-rubbing issues? I'm settled on moving the front 3". But your 4" is tempting

Morning pics. :p

Attachments

• 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,015
  • 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,016
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,012
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,012

IZwack said:
So i guess there are no body-rubbing issues? I'm settled on moving the front 3". But your 4" is tempting

I'll probably end up trimming this piece off. But I doubt I'll even have to once I get new springs.

Attachments

• trim.jpg
    trim.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,001

Also remember, since the shackle is in the rear the axle will move to the rear of opening when stuffed.

your my idol john. good job on the sas.

section525 said:
I'll probably end up trimming this piece off. But I doubt I'll even have to once I get new springs.

Trim where? I don't see what you are talking about. Draw an arrow or something so we know.

:D

Lookin good man... you're making really good time!

So should I try and find some waggy springs or try these Rubicon Express 1.5" SOA 6 leafs ones??

Waggy springs would be more appropriate for the weight of the Explorer. Since you have it setup already for the YJs, I'd try the RE 1.5s to see how that works out. I have a feeling they won't last as long under there, but you do have them. Then again, it's easier to move the mounts now while you're doing everything.

I'm wondering what would happen to ride height if I went to stock waggy springs.

It wouldn't take anything to move the hanger back two inches. But I would hate to do it and it lowers the ride height even more. :thumbdwn:

Today not much is going to happen. I have decided to try and find an FJ60 box as the Toyota IFS will not be able to move far enough forward, and the F150 is just too large. So if I decide to go with the RE springs I will pick them up from RE on Monday and hopefully track down a new box down in Sacramento as well. Looks like I might be building sliders and bumpers while I wait for junk to come in. :p

Attachments

• 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 991

would it just be moving it 2 inches? If so, you probably wouldn't lose any height overall. They shouldn't flatten as much as the YJ springs I wouldn't think, unless they are just old and worn out. I would still try the RE springs first though just because you have them.

I'm sure you are planning this anyway, as I can see the bracket is just tacked on, but when you weld it on fully wherever it is, put a couple of gussets in there.

I don't have the RE spings. So it would be a matter not knowing what either set of springs is going to do. I am leaning towards the RE's because I already have an idea of how they'll be from this set of YJs.

I wish the waggys that came with this axle weren't torched now! :p

...and fine. I'll gusset it. :D

Oh I thought you had a set of the 1.5" lift springs. If that's the case, I would personally go for the waggy setup. You know... I could type "waggy" a hundred times a day and it would still sound really weird. Know anyone that has a set you could use just to see?

I just have a feeling that the YJ springs may work for a while but will get worn out a lot faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back