Completed Project - Stic-o's 2nd gen. radius arm/coil SAS | Page 31 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project Stic-o's 2nd gen. radius arm/coil SAS

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
Well it's Finaly Time to Start this thread.

Intro
In April of 2006 I will be doing a Solid Axle Swap on my '99 Explorer XL. Through the entire prosess I will be takink pics and updateing when there is is new info. I've pretty much always known I was going to do a SAS in my truck all along. For this reason, I have never but a dime into my front axle. I just never saw the point if I was going to rip it out.

The Plan

I plan to run a High Pinion Dana 44 full width in the front. I will be using Early Bronco Coils, posiablly 5.5" lift coils. I am still unsure of what I will be using for Radius arms, as we are still in the works. I would like to do a 3 link in the front but I don't think it's possiable with the cast wedges. I will be running 5.13 gears and plan to use anywhere from a 35" tire to a 37" tire, depending what I find. In the rear, I will be going to a 86-96 full width 8.8 off a Bronco/F-150. This will give me the ability to keep my speedometer, as well as reuseing my current locker, BTF Cover, and Disc Brakes. This will also give me a 5x5.5 pattern, and width almost dead on with the front. I would also like to move the rear leaf springs to the outside of the frame with the FW 8.8 to get rid of the spring hangers under the back doors that we all get caught on.

There alot of things still unsure, and I will figure it out as I go. Unfortally only small things will be done, until late March. Lack of funds will keep me from doing much until then. The axle will be set to go in the truck in April sometime though. Now let get to the goods. Pictures :D

The Meat
12287D44.jpg

A side dish of parts

12287SAS_Parts.jpg

I can't wait for dessert :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stic-o said:
Yeah....What's your point? :p the front shaft has a double cardigan(sp?) :rolleyes:
double cardan driveshafts must also operate at a proper angle - typically 1 degree or so below direct line-of-sight to the transfer case.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

U joint angle is seconary to caster on a front axle setup. My front driveline angles are all goofy and it works fine for now. Toss the new wedges in and see what happens

IZwack said:
double cardan driveshafts must also operate at a proper angle - typically 1 degree or so below direct line-of-sight to the transfer case.

Point taken ;)

Actally my front shaft lines up perfect, just got to extend it and buy new joints :thumbsup:

Stic-o said:
You just change the rubber/poly c bushings. There are different ones. They have 4* and 7* ones. The ones I have installed are 7*, which for my set up is too much. But normally would be correct. I just have some custom arms, that are made a little different. If I go to a 4* wedge, it would change mine to 5-6* Optimal is 6*-8*

Cbushings1001.jpg

Thanks. That clarified that issue. The arms you have, are they from wildhorse4x4(or something like that?). Can you give me a site for those please? I think i may change from going leafs and go coils, bieng that it didnt seem as difiicult as i first thought it was.

Gas tank 1: Done! Average 10MPG :(

Time for a real DD I think. :rolleyes:

Well to be honest, I have the exsaust off after the Muffler, so it has that deep tone. I reved it around the first half tank. :rolleyes: so that could be part of it. Only about 6 more months of DD work though for it. ;)

Stic-o said:
Gas tank 1: Done! Average 10MPG :(
Have you recalibrated your speedometer for the larger tires?

RangerX said:
Have you recalibrated your speedometer for the larger tires?

No, but I was kinda keeping track of how far I went. I don't really think with the gears it's that far off. Truck said I went 200 miles and I figured it was about 215.

I thouht gears doesn't effect the RABS VSS people. Only tire size does. No?

section525 said:

Well, I would think yes...and no. :rolleyes: Remember the wheels are turning at a different speed now then before because of the gears, but the ring is attached to...well the ring. and......wait! Now I'm confused :confused:

I thought it basically counted turns of the axle shaft(s). One axle rotation is one axle rotation. So throwing tires on there should be the only way to effect your speedo. But someone, Jefe, should know. :D

section525 said:
This chicano is correct - the sensor's tone ring is pressed onto the carrier which is then splined on to the axle shaft. The gear ratio does not affect the speedo - only tire diameter.

Which means you went 245 miles not 200. :cool: No new DD for you now! :p

section525 said:
Which means you went 245 miles not 200. :cool: No new DD for you now! :p

Dude! WTF! Your not helping me :mad: I'm trying to make the wife think I need one of these :D

21655200.JPG

My math was wrong. You're getting 134 miles to the tank. Which is horrible. You need a SD.

section525 said:
My math was wrong. You're getting 134 miles to the tank. Which is horrible. You need a SD.

Thank you for expertise sir :D

I dunno man I didnt think my speedo was off to far either in the BII, I have 4.10's with 35's and the most teeth I could get on the speedo gear...I had used those your speed is radar signs many times to check and it seems down around 20-40 MPH is pretty close, maybe I am doing 42 when it reads 40.
recently I found out up around 65 I was doing 72, and at 75 or so i was doing like 85
I found this out because I used my GPS last weekend....now I know the 88 speedo is a cable driven dude, but I thought it was closer then that!

My 96 explorer with 3.73 and 33's is the same same same....so the only real way to know is to get/borrow a GPS unit that will tell you MPH then get your speedo calibrated or get a GPS that tells you distance.

Stic-o said:
Dude! WTF! Your not helping me :mad: I'm trying to make the wife think I need one of these :D

21655200.JPG
something tells me the gas milage complaint is not going to help your case very much if you want to get a super duty... ;)

Back