Burns SAS thread | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Burns SAS thread

Well as a few of you know my X was messeed up a bit due to a accident. so i have been looking for a new plan.
i have my axles (d44/ford9") all i need is to choose what i am gonna do.
i was thinking about thiS:
In the front i plan to use whild horse 5.5 inch coils,
1005_cut.jpg

for radius arms i plan to use this.
1425LO~1.jpg

they are 12 inches longer that the stock radius arms.i have the whole frame from a 78 f-150 that i plan to get the coil buckets and steering off of.
i want to use a 37 inch tire and use 4.88 gears
i dont see a problem with any of this so i need some info to see if i have missed anything

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Old lift, wheels, and tires

Here is my old lift, wheels, and tires on my brothers 94 ranger. :thumbsup:
bro-and-me.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Nice, why didnt he come to the badlands in June?

It was not on when we the badlands run came around. I am pretty sure it was put on at the end of the summer right around when college starts

well i thought i would update the old beast a little...I have not put any more upgrades on it...The 5speed is shot and now it is just sitting in my driveway...I can drive it but we did check the fluid and there are all kinds of little metal shavings in the fluid...the fluid was clean other than the metal....No water or anything...Glad for that one.....I have decided to park it and just look for a tranny.....

I am now just stuck between redoing all my suspension with some new axles...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175680

Thats bad A**....

Your rig look wicked on the ramp i hope i can get mine to twist up like that... what is SAS??

Your rig look wicked on the ramp i hope i can get mine to twist up like that... what is SAS??

Thanks for the comment....there are better than mine on this forum.....And FROADER has you covered on SAS

5speed-out-one.jpg

Well When you go SAS or anyting of the size the transmission is to far from the ground to get it down really easily....This is my prob....My shoulder will not allow me to help my dad to get it down....So we are using a motorcycle jack and some steel to make a tranny jack that will be to size to get in and out with the tranny.....
Tranny-stand-2.jpg

We have two Lplates of steel on the jack....There are two almost u shaped braces in the back that will be weilded upright on top of the two Lbrackets...Wh also have two long bars to attach to the stand to hold the tranny down in the stand.....

Good idea. I've been using a floor jack and a board with foam on top. It's not very stable.

Good idea. I've been using a floor jack and a board with foam on top. It's not very stable.

I have done that but it is to unstable...I can hold on to the tranny/transfer or anything of any weight because of my shoulder...SO this way the tranny will be cradled and wont have a chance to hit the floor...Also will allow to be put on the work bench and will serve as a stand....:D ill post the finsh product tomm as well as some tranny carnage pics...

The tranny/motorcycle jack worked out really great.....Works with transfers and trannys.....
This is fully let down after backing the tranny back after getting it out....
Tranny-Stand-with-tranny.jpg

The truck must then be jacked up to allow the tranny to come out....
Tranny-Stand-with-tranny-2.jpg

The tranny had some bearing play but we are not sure that it was making all the noise that was going on....I found out why second gear was not working to....The actual gear that drives second has two sections that should not come apart....They were....It looks like they just spun apart...
Tranny-parts.jpg

I just bought the bearing/seal kit for 188 so thats not to bad...

Big Update.....

As for the M5OD I am getting off really cheap.....I have only spent 188 on the bearing/seal kit and i bought the gear that was broken today for 30....So i have only spent around 220. That is the best news I have ever had with a transmission.....Thank goodness its not the al4d....The only thing stopping me from completing the rebuild is the bearing kit to come in....Im thinking it will be here thursday or friday....

On to the big news.....I am going ahead and pussing on with my motor swap...I collected a 94 4.0 out of a 94 ranger when i got my M5OD...My 4.0 is on 319,000 miles.....If you want to know how much oil it has started to burn let me tell you this....I change my oil every month....Im serious about a quart a week.....So some time in the next two days we are gonna pull the Explorer under the engine hoist and start to pull it out.....The front tires are fully deflated so it will be easier....:thumbsup:

And now on to the possible bad news....:fire:....My tranny is not as bad as we thought....Something was making a awful lot of noise (very loud whine) when i decided i could not chance driving it any longer...It may be the tranny because there was no preload on a thing inside the tranny....If this does not fix the noise I may have collected a bad transfer when my last one went down or I have dropped a bearing in my rearend....We are not sure and will only know till it is fully put back together.....

<-- is a girl

LOL-----No Its a old beat up all man.....

It didnt get all the way out....need to take the gas lines off and pull it out.....Got to cold....it was 30 and there was a nice wind.....we had to stop....tomm its gonna be 45 so we gonna work after church....and get it out and the new one in....i did get the underside of my hood covered in truck bed liner while it was off...

dont yell at me but i may have missed this but what motor u puttin in her, a newer 4.0 ?

Back