Who will be at TDS | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who will be at TDS

Originally posted by Paul M Bredehoft
By the way I hear Colin has a new phrase now.

"Drive it like a rental car".:D :eek:
Colin, I'm glad you never drove my rig in its other life as a rental car. :eek: :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump!

Also, any thoughts on changing the campsite to upwind of T-haven, off of S-22? (see my earlier post)

Looks like i am not going to make it. Cat get out of the stupid test. The alternate date to take it is when I have another class and have to take a test in tehre that day. Hope you guys have fun and take alot of pics.

Matt

Hey Bill, where exactly is this spot off of S22. When I talk to Winter about the time as to when we would be leaving we were thinking about early Sat. morning since both of us are working on Fri. It might be a little hard to find in the dark if we come out on Fri nite.or what do you think. It's still sort of up in the air as to when we leave.

Mesa off S-22

Bill, thats a great spot if you have a motorhome, but its all ROCKS..big rocks, little rocks, etc.. No place for a tent, and no access down into the wash without driving on the highway until truckhaven rd.

How about we camp on Truckhaven Rd, a little north of S-22? Its easy to find, RV's can do it, and there is easy access to the hills.

Brian, do you have directions on how to get there?

You mean directions to that mesa with all the rocks, or to Truckhaven?
The Mesa is easy:
If you come down 86, take a right turn onto S-22 and go west until you can see the microwave tower. The mesa is on the right prior to the tower. You should be able to see everyone from the road.

Truckhaven Rd.
Take the same right turn on S-22. After a few miles you go up a steep, curving grade. There are two dirt roads to the right, take the second right (the one that looks easier to travel, because it is). Drive up that road until you see the group, or if you get there first, a good place to camp.

Brian, that's where I meant. I cut through that way sometimes on my way in to the regular campsites.

I just want to be upwind of the whole Truckhaven area. The past few years, with the size of the crowd, there is a constant giant cloud of sand and smoke that blows to the east, right where we always camp! I've seen the cloud from several miles away.

Maybe some of us locals can get out there before the run and scout it out, maybe even get the gps #'s for the exact spot.

Thank's Brian for the info. It sounds good to me if this is going to be the final camp site. Still do not know what day we will get there.

Its also a great view from up there. You can see for miles and miles. I can't go out early, I will be out Friday evening cause I have the wife and kids along, plus I have to work Friday day till 2:30PM.

See you all out there.

I wont be able to make it to the run. Even if i could get out of my test the truck wont be ready. After two rolls this weekened at hollister and bunching a big hole through the diff out at pismo the truck is going to be down for a while. Take lots of pics.

Matt

Two rolls... whats the story on that? Any pics?

We ran tank trap trail and I laid it twice on the driverside pretty much destroying my door and fender and breaking the grill I also added a good dent to the side of the bed as well. I have a few pics but still need to get them scanned.

Matt

Ahh... same trail that Tom Davis did one of his rolls on.

Note to self... do not attempt Tank Trap until the truck is already trashed :D

Originally posted by Rick
Ahh... same trail that Tom Davis did one of his rolls on.

Note to self... do not attempt Tank Trap until the truck is already trashed :D

AWW come on Rick, you haven't even seen Tank Trap yet. :eek: I think you could do it.

Matt,
Did you make it all the way through?

Originally posted by Ray Lobato
AWW come on Rick, you haven't even seen Tank Trap yet. :eek: I think you could do it.

Rick, trust me: take a very good recon of that trail, then ask Ray to try first, then give it a shot. Ray, you can volunteer your Explorer first, please be our guest :roll: :D :bounce: :eek: :roll: :bounce: :hammer: :roll:

we started at the bottom and went all the way up till the main off shoot to the top of the obstical coarse. We didnt feel like driving through the super deep mudhole at the end. plus my clutch was burning a little bit and was having some power steering problems. one guy with a jeep made it through with just minor scrapes to his roll cage one the other jeep trashed his top. It was fairly dry as well. I think if i would have been much lower geared like around 100 to 1 i could have come out with much less damage. I had to go so fast to keep from stalling that i would loose my line and fall in a rut.

Matt

Brian, Bill... would it be alright if I ride along with you guys? I'm not certain my truck will be finished by then. Paul had told me I could ride with him, but it doesn't look like he'll be there since he's recouping from his appendix surgery.

I told the shop they could keep the Explorer until March 9th if they needed it that long.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just a few days away................who's still in????????

Are we going with the new campsite as described in Brian's post? If so, who will be the first one there?
I won't be there till friday about 7pm.

Back