California End of Summer Run 2! | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

California End of Summer Run 2!

Well I got my sliders bolted on today, and then tested them out with the high lift. Front bracket started folding like a taco :( and never got her all the way off the ground. Back to the drawning board :rolleyes:

As far as the run, yes we only had 4 trucks, but we also i lot of people at camp to BS with, and try to start forest fires :rolleyes:

At this point I'm a little unsure of doing swamp, with my sliders not being perfected, and only two other trucks. If Brian gets him self stuck real good, we could be there for awile. The other thing is I know the trail is worse this year.

I would be up for doing Big Bear, but that means we'll lose Golith, and probally will not gain anyone else with this short of notice.

My thought is we could still go but run some of the other trails that are shorter, where we're not screwed 7 miles into a trail. :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

goliath said:
You had a winch? i thought derrick had the only winch? my bad. im still willing to go if there is gonna be a winch with us.

-joshua
I have a winch now, didn't have one last year......... :D
Corral Canyon run
3817Corral_Cyn_16_.jpg

and.......my garage run
3817Bumper_3_a.jpg

I just love that top picture, the wife took it and if you look closely at the front tires, you can see there is no weight on them.........

I thought this was funny, taken from the 10th anniversary run thread

A centrally located run should suffice and sure people will be upset but the western states have the Cali end of Summer run, the Truckhaven Run, TDS safari, EJS MOAB, etc that all have big showings.

Well so much for that thought :rolleyes:

Stic-o said:

Well, normally that would be true, since the majority of Explorer owners who wheel live in the western United States.......... :cool: This run seems to be rapidly running out of steam..

BKennedy said:
Well, normally that would be true, since the majority of Explorer owners who wheel live in the western United States.......... :cool: This run seems to be rapidly running out of steam..

Maybe I should stop planning run this far away, it's not like I waited till 3 weeks ago to plan this. :rolleyes:

Eveyone shows up for BB or T-haven, I guess we stay away from the north :rolleyes:

What do you guys want to do?

if you guys end up going up and getting into swamp and having trouble I know plenty of people in the fresno area that can come get you out. Just need one of you to beable to get a call out to me and then I can make a few calls and get things moving.

Its killing me that I cant go. I was hoping to have the solid axle done and so far I only have 2 of the 4 hangers tacked up where they go. :rolleyes: I am hoping this next weekend i can get a good run at it.

Stic-o said:

I think this year things just fell part for us west coasters. We havent done wheelinng trips this year like we have in the past. Hopefully next year will be better for us with more trips.

BKennedy said:
I have a winch now, didn't have one last year......... :D
Corral Canyon run
3817Corral_Cyn_16_.jpg

and.......my garage run
3817Bumper_3_a.jpg

I just love that top picture, the wife took it and if you look closely at the front tires, you can see there is no weight on them.........

THAT WINCH BUMPER IS SICK!!! where do i get one and how much???

joshua :D

Stic-o said:
Well I got my sliders bolted on today, and then tested them out with the high lift. Front bracket started folding like a taco :( and never got her all the way off the ground. Back to the drawning board :rolleyes:

As far as the run, yes we only had 4 trucks, but we also i lot of people at camp to BS with, and try to start forest fires :rolleyes:

At this point I'm a little unsure of doing swamp, with my sliders not being perfected, and only two other trucks. If Brian gets him self stuck real good, we could be there for awile. The other thing is I know the trail is worse this year.

I would be up for doing Big Bear, but that means we'll lose Golith, and probally will not gain anyone else with this short of notice.

My thought is we could still go but run some of the other trails that are shorter, where we're not screwed 7 miles into a trail. :rolleyes:

why dont you two go play at big bear, its alot closer to you guys in LA with gas at 3.00 a gallon. ill find something to do. I have always been self entertaining.
:burnout: :exp: :monkey: :fart: :afro: :chug: :mattmoon: :cool:

goliath said:
THAT WINCH BUMPER IS SICK!!! where do i get one and how much???

joshua :D
Got it from "http://www.protofab4x4.com/prod0300.htm" for about $465.00 shipped UPS to my door. It did not have the light hanger, and it is build for an XJ. The width of an XJ and an Ex are nearly the same, then we cut about 6 inches off the front of the frame (right to the first body mount), welded a 1/2" thick piece of plate across the front, and made new mounting tabs. Ended up cutting off the original bumper tabs because the bumper stuck out too far. Had to notch the sheet metal under the grill for the winch to clear, but it came out pretty good. I paid a buddy of mine to do the welding and acted as his helper so I could claim I was at least involved in the fabrication. ;)

I say we just go to Big Bear instead, unless some of the other's end up coming along.

Stic-o said:
Who me, get stuck?? :eek: :confused: :rolleyes:
I know we could make it through the Swamp, but without any new people to take along, it just won't be as much fun. I'm going to bed now, will check on this thread in the morning.

2 trucks in Big Bear? That sucks too! :mad: I think we'll just say scrap the whole thing, I can't belive I'm saying this. :banghead:

Maybe I'll take my wife some place nice, someplace with room service.

Stic-o said:
2 trucks in Big Bear? That sucks too! :mad: I think we'll just say scrap the whole thing, I can't belive I'm saying this. :banghead:

Maybe I'll take my wife some place nice, someplace with room service.
We will be camping in BB from Wednesday evening through Sunday if anyone wants to come up.
Directions;
Drive to Fawnskin.
Take forest trail 3N14 for several miles past Holcolmb Valley trail. Turn left onto 3N97 .
Follow that until you see us camped off on a short side trail.
I can't get the trailer into that place I used to camp at, its too rough and I broke some plumbing last time, so I will be somewhere along that trail.
Don't worry about it Stic, sometimes these things just don't work out as planned. Several people wanted to come, they just had broken rigs. Next year, we should plan it again and see what happens.

BKennedy said:
We will be camping in BB from Wednesday evening through Sunday if anyone wants to come up.
Directions;
Drive to Fawnskin.
Take forest trail 3N14 for several miles past Holcolmb Valley trail. Turn left onto 3N97 .
Follow that until you see us camped off on a short side trail.
I can't get the trailer into that place I used to camp at, its too rough and I broke some plumbing last time, so I will be somewhere along that trail.
Don't worry about it Stic, sometimes these things just don't work out as planned. Several people wanted to come, they just had broken rigs. Next year, we should plan it again and see what happens.

I feel the worst about you brian, sence I know you took the time off awile ago.

I think We may go to Laughlin. I've never been and I'm getting sick of vegas.

Stic-o said:
I feel the worst about you brian, sence I know you took the time off awile ago.

I think We may go to Laughlin. I've never been and I'm getting sick of vegas.
Don't worry about it. It wasn't your fault, it was just bad timing.
Now it looks like we are not going up to BB until Friday morning so my daughter can take a friend and we have to go to Knotts Berry Farm on Thursday.

Guess I get a 3 day weekend to get my trans back in (should it be ready in time :rolleyes: ) . . . or I could just go to work on Friday. :confused:

Jefe said:
Guess I get a 3 day weekend to get my trans back in (should it be ready in time :rolleyes: ) . . . or I could just go to work on Friday. :confused:

Time for what, :rolleyes: going back to work?

I'm gonna go to the shooting range and kill some targets...I will feel much better after that. :thumbsup:

So, do I mess things up if I say I still want to go? (I gotta winch and Jefe's welder :D )

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brother_of_Jefe said:
So, do I mess things up if I say I still want to go? (I gotta winch and Jefe's welder :D )

I'm thinking of heading up there anyway as well. I see some good fishing spots on the map & I'd like to get away for a while. If anyone shows, we can run some trails or I'll hook on to one of the groups going through swamp, I was thinking of camping along Swamp Saturday night & making it a 2 day trail ...I will be heading up Thursday or Friday & coming back Sunday...

Back