Completed Project - Stic-o's 2nd gen. radius arm/coil SAS | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project Stic-o's 2nd gen. radius arm/coil SAS

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
Well it's Finaly Time to Start this thread.

Intro
In April of 2006 I will be doing a Solid Axle Swap on my '99 Explorer XL. Through the entire prosess I will be takink pics and updateing when there is is new info. I've pretty much always known I was going to do a SAS in my truck all along. For this reason, I have never but a dime into my front axle. I just never saw the point if I was going to rip it out.

The Plan

I plan to run a High Pinion Dana 44 full width in the front. I will be using Early Bronco Coils, posiablly 5.5" lift coils. I am still unsure of what I will be using for Radius arms, as we are still in the works. I would like to do a 3 link in the front but I don't think it's possiable with the cast wedges. I will be running 5.13 gears and plan to use anywhere from a 35" tire to a 37" tire, depending what I find. In the rear, I will be going to a 86-96 full width 8.8 off a Bronco/F-150. This will give me the ability to keep my speedometer, as well as reuseing my current locker, BTF Cover, and Disc Brakes. This will also give me a 5x5.5 pattern, and width almost dead on with the front. I would also like to move the rear leaf springs to the outside of the frame with the FW 8.8 to get rid of the spring hangers under the back doors that we all get caught on.

There alot of things still unsure, and I will figure it out as I go. Unfortally only small things will be done, until late March. Lack of funds will keep me from doing much until then. The axle will be set to go in the truck in April sometime though. Now let get to the goods. Pictures :D

The Meat
12287D44.jpg

A side dish of parts

12287SAS_Parts.jpg

I can't wait for dessert :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stic-o said:
I can always change things later, I just want to get it back together and on the street,before I go broke :rolleyes:

I hear ya on that one ;)

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

be sure and take some good in progress and after pics this weekend

So what exactly is wristing a radius arm?

Search, newbie! :p ;)

5.13Gears for both axles and BTF cover for 44 ordered :thumbsup:
New wheels ordered :thumbsup:

:bounce:

Steve, that's awesome. Get it done quick!! :thumbsup:

JoshC said:
So what exactly is wristing a radius arm?
Josh, here is a picture of my wristed arm. It gives the suspension a few more inches of travel. The only thing I don't like is that it lets the axle move backward through it's cycle. Like Dave said though it performs really well compared to a stock arm.

You can see where I took the other bolt out towards the rear of the arm to let it go through it's cycle while articulating.

WristedArm.jpg

Stic-o said:
5.13Gears for both axles and BTF cover for 44 ordered :thumbsup:
New wheels ordered :thumbsup:

:bounce:
When you get the BTF cover can you measure how far out it sticks from the diff face? I'm doubting it will clear my track bar, but I'd love to run a BTF rather than an ugly rock ring.

Jefe said:
When you get the BTF cover can you measure how far out it sticks from the diff face? I'm doubting it will clear my track bar, but I'd love to run a BTF rather than an ugly rock ring.

Sure :thumbsup:

by the way, I'm still driving the truck, it probbally will start getting torn apart in about 2 weeks ;)

Also Matt asked about a "thick 5.13 gear set" for my axle. no such thing. They don't make a thick gear in 5.13 for the HP44 :rolleyes:

Pictures from on the road

just picked the Arms and Coils from Bill's (RangerX)house. Nice and beefey. Thanks Michael! :thumbsup:

Arms_.jpg

I love wirless internet :D

Oh yeah...Awsome Tiki's Bill! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Here's my cool parts score. :D The 8.8 from Michael's old Ex. It's going to replace my Ranger 8.8. :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_0008_2.JPG
    IMG_0008_2.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 1,380

Here's what my driveway looked like today. Pure Ford. My wife's Sport, my F250, my daughter's Sport, and Michael's Ex in the driveway, and my Ranger and Stico's Ex in the street!
Good to see both you guys.
Hijack over. ;)

IMG_0006_3.JPG

What's goin on there...a big parts swappin' party? :p

Jefe,
I just measured 2 7/8" from the mounting surface of the diff cover to the outermost edge of the cover.

So Steve, what's left on the parts list for your IFS erradication list?

Just got back from San Diego. Here is my other score form this weekend :D
5) 35" MTR's - 2 brand new, still have stickers, and 3 at about 50%.
35_s.jpg

DB_1 said:
So Steve, what's left on the parts list for your IFS erradication list?

I still got to find an 8.8 for the rear. I waiting for a quote to order all the brakes stuff, as well seals. Got to get new ball joints and u-joints still. I'm going to try to run the axle shafts that were in the axle, I think they will hold until I can afford get some new ones, and keep those for spares. I still never looked to see if the hubs are any good; if they are ok I'll run them until I can swap them out as well. I still have to get a steering box, and all of the rest of the steering as well. Still need a draglink too. Some of this stuff I'm kind of waiting till we get the axle under to measure up stuff. Next week I will try and get a steering box and and rear axle. I'll try to get all the brakes and stuff ordered this week as well.

For steering if you decided to go with the chevy TRE I have teh reamer to ream out the pitman arm to make them work. As well at the TRE that needs to be reamed out to to the T style steering. Let me know if you need it and you can eather come down and use it or I can mail it up to use.

What happened to the 38"s you had :D

RockRanger said:
What happened to the 38"s you had :D

My dad ran into a bind, and needed money quick, so they were the quickest things to sell :rolleyes: I put them on pirate, and they were gone in a couple of days

I been thiking about running hiems on the RA's. Now I'm I just :confused: or could I just screw one on the end , insted of wacking the end off and starting over? :rolleyes:
206.jpg

RangerX said:
Here's what my driveway looked like today. Pure Ford. My wife's Sport, my F250, my daughter's Sport, and Michael's Ex in the driveway, and my Ranger and Stico's Ex in the street!
Good to see both you guys.
Hijack over. ;)
Wish I would have known, I would have stopped by with my Explorer too!

Back